Character Project: Round Five-Texturing

Work In Progress / 22 September 2020

Started texturing today and learned the value of having good id color maps. 🙃

Here are a couple WIP pics:




Character Project: Round Four-Beginning Texturing

Work In Progress / 21 September 2020

Got all of the normal and AO map baking done. Now I can get to texturing in Substance Painter. I've used Painter before several times but I use it sparingly so when I do open it up for a project I have to relearn some of the same stuff I've learned before. 🤷‍♂️


I'm really happy with the normal and AO maps of the character. They came out very clean because I went through methodically piece by piece baking out the maps and then combining them in Affinity Painter. The gun maps were a bit more rough and I believe its because the hi-poly models I used to bake the maps from was dynamesh and had some rough edges to it in places and contributed to the creation of artifacts. I'll have to keep that in mind on my next character build.


 I've noticed online there is a method of combining normal map layers by simply changing them to "overlay". But that crushes the blue channel which will affect the details of the final normal map. You need to duplicate each map you import and fill the red and green channel of the duplicated layer with white(leaving the blue unchanged), change that layer to "multiply" and then fill the blue channel of the original layer to absolute middle gray(leaving the red and green unchanged) and change that layer to overlay to properly combine the normal maps.


I love using RizomUV to handle my uv work as it makes it super easy to manage them. Especially if you're OCD. 😁


Here's a shot of my UV's and an updated marmoset viewer file with my WIP so far.





  


Character Project: Round Three-Retop

Work In Progress / 16 September 2020

I've got most of the retopologizing completed and some of the normal/AO maps baked. For years Ive used MightyBake for normal maps since I'm on a Mac my limitations are somewhat limited-or so I thought. I always heard about Substance Painter having the capability to bake maps but never really considered using it. Well with macOS Catalina, Mightybake tends to crash a lot so I had to find something else. I checked out a SP tutorial on normal map baking and found its quite easy to use and it makes incredibly clean normal maps. This will save loads of clean up time on the maps.


I tossed the model and maps into Marmoset Toolbag to take a look and I'm really happy with the result. Just need to finish up the retop then I can work on UV's, texturing, posing and rendering.


Should be fun!


Here is the WIP Marmoset viewer you can check out:


Character Project: Round One Notes

Work In Progress / 15 August 2020

So I'm working on a new personal project that I will take to completion. Too many I have started and never finished but this one will be. Working on the high poly version now and will create a game asset from it and pose it. My portfolio is full of busts which I enjoy making as I like facial anatomy but I need more character work that's taken to completion.


So I'm creating a Mars pirate named Side Effect. Several hundred years into the future, humans have colonized Mars and even terraformed it to the extent that we can live on the surface but not completely without some air assistance. At least not yet. Side Effect who has suffered from the results of extensive surface living, as surface living isn't recommended, but she is a pirate and pirates do as they please. While civility does reside on mars in the human colonies, it exist little elsewhere. Our lady pirate here lives between the colonies stealing from humans who travel between colonies and from those like herself, who live between them.


At this point I'm working on accessories to add some interest as well as layers of clothing to add story depth. Mars can get quite cold when you're in the wrong part at the wrong time of day. But during the summer months in the sun it's quite hot. Not sure if that's true or not, but in this universe, it is. ;)


I spent much more time on her anatomy than I have before because I really want to improve in that area. So I hope it looks more natural and feminine. I'm going to make notations as I continue to work through the project before I post the final renders.